Copyright (c) (copr) all rights reserved by TJH Internet SP and
Earth Operations Central. All comments are strictly my unsupported opinion
unless based upon promotional blurb extracted from the websites linked
herein. This is by no means an exhaustive nor definitive list, and no particular
recommendation nor assurance of solvency or utility is to be inferred from a
Energy Production & Distribution
Consider the option of Solar Energy.
- US Department of Energy, Fossil Fuels
Energy Web. There's loads of information accessible through this page.
- National Renewable Energy
- National Rural Electric Cooperative
Association. A partnership of over 1000 of America's consumer-owned
utilities. One of the better examples of American rural modernization.
- Energy and Power Evaluation
Program (ENPEP). Visiting this page is practically required - this will
link you to some pretty amazing energy-planning resources.
- Allegheny Power.
Serving parts of Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric.
- BC Hydro. "B.C.Hydro is a provincial Crown corporation that reports to the
Minister of Employment and
Investment. The third largest electric utility in Canada, B.C.Hydro
serves almost 1.5 million customers in an area containing over 94 percent of
British Columbia's population. Between 43000 and 52000 gigawatt-hours of
electricity are generated annually, depending upon prevailing water levels,
with more than 75 per cent produced by major hydroelectric generating
stations of the Columbia and Peace rivers. Electricity is delivered to
customers through an interconnected system of over 72000 kilometers of
transmission and distribution lines."
- Blue Ridge Electric Membership
Corporation. North Carolina.
- Bonneville Power Administration.
Owner and operator of 80 percent of the Northwest US (Washington, Oregon,
Idaho) electrical transmission lines.
- Carolina Power & Light. Serving both
North and South Carolina.
- Con Edison. "What makes New
- Duke Energy. "We shape the marketplace. Bringing together the resources and
experience of PanEnergy, Duke and Mobil Corporation has created Duke Energy
Trading and Marketing. We are one of the nation's largest marketers of
wholesale natural gas and electric power." Producers of both
energy and natural gas, as well as transmission of both.
- El Paso Energy Corporation " provides total energy solutions worldwide through its regulated
and non-regulated business units. The company was founded in 1928 and has
over 65 years experience in the design, development, construction
management, and operation of natural gas transmission and gathering systems.
- FirstEnergy Corporation. A
merger of Ohio Edison and Centerior, " would create the
nation's 11th largest investor-owned electric system, based on annual
electric sales of 64 billion kilowatt-hours. FirstEnergy will serve 2.1
million customers within 13,200 square miles of northern and central Ohio
and western Pennsylvania. "
- Florida Power & Light.
- Hawai'ian Electric
- K N Energy. A large distributor of
natural gas and related energy products, pipelines from Texas north to
Wyoming, from western Colorado east to Kansas City. Headquartered in
- GPU. Nearly
a hundred non-nuclear generating facilities in Pennsylvania, Maryland and
New Jersey. Owns and operates Oyster Creek, Three Mile Island Number One
Nuclear Facilities, and has sizable investments overseas in generation and
- Pacific Gas & Electric Company.
Serving Coastal California.
- PJM Interconnection LLC "is the largest and most sophisticated, centrally dispatched power
pool in North America. With the primary objectives of system reliability and
economic savings, the PJM Interconnection L.L.C. manages the wholesale bulk
power grid in the Mid-Atlantic region."
- SCANA. This widely diversified
holding company has its roots in the South Carolina Electric & Gas
industry, where it still provides power. Also branching into telecom, etc.,
but primarily into power generation and distribution, including
nuclear-sourced electrical energy and SCANA is also very big in natural gas
and realated industry.
- US Bureau of Reclamation is the
sixth-largest generator of hydroelectrical energy, and also manages
water-related resources west of the Mississippi River. The largest
wholesaler of water in the US, and manages almost 350 storage dams, nearly
60 hydroelectric facilities, and over 50,000 miles of canals, etc.
- Western Area Power Administration.
Actually a branch of the US Department of
Energy, Western transmits and markets electric power over most of the
western continental United States.
Energy outside of North America -
- CEPEL, a consortium of Electrobras
and subsidiaries, state-owned and private electric utilities. R & D,
testing, certification, etc.
- Eletrobrás. The
Brazilian Electrical Authority.
- Hydro Quebec. Canada's premier
power generation network.
- IREQ - Research &
Development for Hydro-Quebec.
- Petro-Canada, the largest
Canadian-owned gas and oil company. Involved in all aspects of oil and gas
from exploratin and development, through refinement, distribution and
Fuels & Resources
Physical Plants and Equipment
- ARCO (Atlantic Richfield
Company). A global producer of energy, mostly petroleum and natural gas.
- British Petroleum. A huge
producer of petroleum.
- BP Solar is one of
the largest and most advanced solar-cell manufacturers and researchers, with
some 10 offices and 6 manufacturing centers. They're also taking the
development lead on thin-film photovoltaic.
- Chevron Corporation. Mostly
petroleum and related manufacturing and refining processes and products.
- Enron Corporation.
- Toast. Busted. Flat Broke.
- One of the
world's largest integrated Natural Gas companies. They say: "The company
operates the largest transmission system in the Western
Hemisphere and the second largest system in the world, is the largest
purchaser and marketer of natural gas and the largest
non-regulated marketer of electricity in North America, and a worldwide
producer and marketer of natural gas liquids."
- Petroleos de Venezuela S.A.
- SecurityDBS. Manufacturer of
- Shell Oil.
- Unocal is a large
producer of petroleum products, chemical fertilizers and energy resources,
Regulation and Research
- McDermott International, Inc.,
through their subsidiary Babcock &
Wilcox makes a variety of products used in the generation of electrical
energy from either conventional fuels, nuclear, or other alternative
sources. They are also moving into the interesting realm of high-temperature
superconductors for energy-storage.
The U.S. Department of Energy -
- DOE -
- Federal Energy Technology
- Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission. Regulates interstate transmission of oil and gas, and the
transmission and wholesaling of electricity, licenses and inspects private,
municipal and state hydroelectric projects, and oversees related
- Defense Programs, Department of
Energy. Among other thing (like nuclear testing) they oversee some of
the US Nuclear Fusion Research Programs.
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- Office of Energy Research.
- Pacific Northwest National
Laboratories. Not strictly energy! But there are lots of energy links
- The US Nuclear Regulatory
Commission. Check out their Reference Library!
- Argonne National
Laboratory - Energy/Environmental Systems Modeling.
- Canada -
- Alberta Energy & Utilities
Board - Regulating Alberta's Energy Resources and Utilities.
- Visit the Business MetaIndex Page.
- Visit Earth, Ecology, Environment: The Homeworld.
- Visit the Biology Page.
- Visit the Sciences MetaIndex Page.
- Visit the Computing MetaIndex Page.
- Visit the Earth Operations Central District Office.
Try a Glimpse HTTP Search
(searches HTML content).
- Go back to the main EarthOps Homepage.